Quick guide to create new users on Debian and to create and configure SSH keys for remote access.
- Create new user
- Add user to group
- Create SSH key on Windows
- Configure unix account with the private SSH key
Create new user
Fill in the user data.
Enter new UNIX password:
Retype new UNIX password:
passwd: password updated successfully
Changing the user information for <USER_NAME>
Enter the new value, or press ENTER for the default
Full Name :
Room Number :
Work Phone :
Home Phone :
Is the information correct? [Y/n]
Add user to group
adduser <USER_NAME> <GROUP_NAME>
Create SSH key on Windows
- Download the puttygen.exe tool.
- Click on “Generate”
- Save public & private keys
Configure unix account with the private SSH key
- Log on to the server
- Create .ssh folder and the file .ssh/authorized_keys in the corresponding user home
- Paste the key from the Puttygen field “Public key for pasting into OpenSSH authorized_keys file”
- The key must begin by
- You can now log on with SSH to the remote server.